ELECTRIC CINEMA CLUB
Built in 1911, Portobello Road's Electric Cinema can lay claim to being the oldest serving purpose-built cinema in Britain.
Renamed The Imperial in 1919, by the sixties it had become a fading and forgotten fleapit.
In 1968 a bunch of hippies took it over for late night shows and started an alternative repertory cinema, which ran until 1983.
This web site, launched in 2018, aims to bring together musings and memorabilia, which celebrate and acknowledge what was London’s original repertory cinema.
Possibly the finest repertory cinema in Europe.
Philip French - The Observer